Film – Week 8 – Screenwriting

Screenwriting
“Screenwriting” by pietroizzo is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
  • Josie’s Blog Post was very well written because she had many funny examples and she gave very thorough and detailed responses to the prompts.

“Ali film script” by Zadi Diaz is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

“You can’t fix a bad script after you start shooting. The problems on the page only get bigger as they move to the big screen.” – Howard Hawks

SUMMARY

• I enjoyed this week’s blog assignment because it included very informative and interesting tasks, such as the “Every Story is the Same” video.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Image from sneakonthelot.com/my-courses/
  • After completing this course, I have learned a lot about the origins of film and some of the first creators of film, such as the Lumiere brothers. I have also learned about the different roles in film making and what each role has to do in order to make sure that the film is completed in a cost-effective, timely manner.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

• Some of the things that create tension for me are homework assignments, studying for tests, and my dog when I’m eating food.
  • I have a bad habit of not thoroughly reading the direction for homework assignments. As a result, I end up missing key parts of the assignments. This is something that I will try to practice in the future.
  • I tend to procrastinate when it comes to tests and usually when I open them up, a fair chunk of the questions look super complex and I have to scramble to try to do them.
  • Most of the chairs in my house are fairly low to the ground which makes it really easy for my dog to steal whatever I’m eating. My dog, being a terrier, has a big disadvantage when it comes to range, but, he makes up for it with his jumping ability.

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

• The protagonist is an NFL player. The antagonist is the fact hat he has to play on the New York Jets. The protagonist is working toward not stinking on the field.
  • The protagonist is a man who wants to travel to all 50 states. The antagonist is his mode of transportation, the family truckster from “National Lampoon’s Vacation”.
  • The protagonist is a talented cowbell connoisseur who plays in Blue Oyster Cult. The antagonists are his band mates who don’t allow him to reach his full potential.
  • The protagonist is a beat farmer who lives on a farm with his salesman cousin. The antagonist is big lettuce who is taking away from beat sales. The protagonist is trying to out sell big lettuce and farm as many money beats as possible.

STUDIO (FILMING)

• We build a great story by following the pattern you, need, go, search, find, take, return, and change.
    • This was a very fun video to watch.

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• I learned about how the each of the different roles in movie making are performed. I have also learned about the fundamental pieces that make up most of the stories that have been told throughout history. I enjoyed most watching the video “Every Story is the Same”.

WEEKLY ACTIVITY EVALUATION